Growing the Low Carbon Economy
Across the South and East
Totalling over £18.5 million and funded by the European Regional Development Fund 2014 – 2020, the LoCASE project can provide support to your business in a number of ways:
- Grant funding up to a maximum of £20,000 can be awarded to your organisation to improve your business performance and profitability. The grant will form up to 40% of the cost of your eligible project, with the remainder matched by your business;
- Any business can use this money toward having energy efficiency measures installed for their business. The grant can contribute to both the cost of materials or equipment and any installation. Projects which save on fuel/mileage are also acceptable.
- If your business offers low carbon (or “green”) goods or services, a business development grant is also available to you. You can claim against costs such as marketing, consultancy, equipment, IT software, product/process development, accreditation and certification.
If you would like to register your interest to receive a grant, please complete and submit the Eligibility Questionnaire. Guidance is available to help understand the variety of costs you might receive grant support to buy.
- The Steps To Environmental Management (STEM) scheme can help your business operate in a more environmentally friendly way, save money and win new business. It provides tools and templates to build an environmental management system aligned with the requirements of ISO 14001, a widely recognised international standard, or help you redesign an existing system. Workshops are laid on free of charge, which focus on each of the three stages of the scheme so you are able to progress at your own speed. Alternatively, you can be provided the material to work through in your own time. Businesses that complete each level of the scheme to receive an electronic certificate and a logo they can use to demonstrate their ongoing commitment to the environment.
- Innovation, R&D and growth support to help low carbon / environmental sector companies develop new products and services is available via the University of Brighton’s Green Growth Platform and other regional universities.
- A number of events and conferences will be supported by the project to help share information about the low carbon market including technologies and procurement whilst also providing you the chance to network with other businesses.
To be eligible for support, you just have to meet the following criteria:
- You must be a small or medium enterprise (SME). This includes:
- Employing 250 (FTE) employees or less
- Having an annual turnover of £44M or less and an annual balance sheet of £38M or less
- If another firm owns more than a quarter of your company, they must meet the above criteria
- Your organisation must not have received more than approximately £180,000 of state aid in the last three years
- Your organisation must be registered and operating in the counties of Kent, Essex, or East Sussex.
N.B. – Businesses applying for the business development grant must be an organisation which offers goods or services which improves the environmental, can be considered to lower the environmental impact of their customers, or works as part of the supply chain for other businesses who do work around the environment. Your business should fit somewhere into the following:
- Decarbonising the energy system
- Improving energy or resource efficiency
- Preserving and enhancing the natural environment
If you aren’t sure if your business would fit, or to enquire about other LoCASE services, please get in touch with your area contact.
The Low Carbon Across the South East Programme has been funded by the European Regional Development Fund 2014-20.
It is a partnership between Kent County Council, East Sussex County Council, Essex County Council, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, Thurrock Council and the University of Brighton.
Essex Innovation Programme
- Free mentoring support from experienced, private sector professionals for growth focused low carbon/environmental sector companies in Essex.
Sustainable Travel Planning
- Participation in Essex County Council’s Travel Plan Accreditation Scheme whereby SME’s will receive advice and support in writing, developing and implementing effective Travel Plans for their staff and visitors. This will help with reducing reliance on single occupancy car use and encourage people to use different modes of travel.